Friday, December 19, 2008

Youtube Launches HD Offering


Hearing the footsteps of high quality video sites like Hulu, Youtube is rush-launching an HD video category, because who wouldn't want to watch Jizz In My Pants in HD?!? You will be able to activate the HD version now with the "Watch in HD" link in the bottom right hand corner of any HD capable video.

What to expect? You will notice the video size increase, and viewing a bit more clear with resolutions of 1290 by 720 pixels. Normal non-HD videos are currently set to 640 by 480 pixels. However, older computers will not be able to play these videos very effectively. Many users have been complaining about the videos starting and stopping every few seconds. My guess is that their computers are probably not of the highest quality. Youtube provides instructions for optimal viewing of the HD videos. Computers with older processors and low memory may have a very hard time getting the videos to play.

I think this is a necessary step for Youtube to compete with the likes of Hulu, however the videos I tend to watch on Youtube are usually not videos I necessarily need great picture quality for. Do I really need an HD experience to watch a 10 second clip of some kid falling off a bouncy ball? I must say the picture is pretty sharp and for a rush launch I must hand it to the Youtube team.

No comments:

Post a Comment